Alfa Motorized Dump Valve Repositioning Procedure
This document was written by Drain Master and edited by Central Valley RV.
When Alfa Leisure began using the Drain Master electric dump valves they installed them in the wrong position according our Installation Instructions and continued to do so despite our factory audits insisting they mount the valves over the piping and not to the side or down. This resulted in earlier than expected valve failure due to waste and liquid entering the valve body and remaining there.
This document was created to help Alfa owners reposition the valves at minimum expense.
1. Flush and empty both holding tanks.
2. Remove both black and gray drain valves and piping attached to (Clean existing valves (see attached procedure) and the other existing fitting manifold.
3. Flush out the holding tank flanges, wipe the compartment out then turn off all 12vdc and 115 vac to the coach.
4. The poly compartment needs to be cut so the valves will fit in the 12 o’clock high position. Be very careful doing this because you will be very close to the Grey and Black tanks. Puncturing a tank will not be fun and a very expensive repair. You only need to cut away enough to have the body of the valve have an inch of clearance. Note; There may be wires laying on the top of the compartment so check to be sure you do not nick them when cutting the hole.
5. Dry fit the valves on the existing flanges making sure you have about a half inch of clearance around the valve.
6. Reassemble by lubricating the seals with Dow 111 grease then place 2 seals, one on the Black flange and one on the Grey Flange. Apply the other two seals on the manifold flanges.
7. Insert the 8 bolts from the back of the tank flanges and hold in place using duck tape or putty.
8. Install both valves in the proper 12 o’clock high position then install the existing manifold. Add nuts and hand tighten. Tighten the nuts no more than 1.5 turns.
9. Reconnect the wiring fill the tanks and test of leaks. Keep in mind that the valves need only tightened to 20 inch pounds of torque. If the valves do not work is it most likely do to over tightening of the bolts or piping miss aligned, causing the valves to bind up also be careful not to install the flanges with excess amount of glue which could end up with the gate glued shut.
When you study the top (first) photo you will notice that solid waste is present in the Grey tank, in fact a lot more than in the Black tank opening. How can this be? This customer has been back filling his Grey water into the Black tank. If he has done this to extend his stay by transferring liquid this is the result! If he was doing it to flush the Black water with Grey water it didn’t work! The manual valve was added as a safety measure for you by Alfa to insure that when you took the cap off to connect the sewer hose you would not get a surprise because a grandson was playing with switches earlier in the day. It was not put there for back filling purposes! Need help with proper dumping procedures; call our toll free number 877 787 8833.